Do you offer different types of assessment to meet different budgets and needs?
Yes, the following assessment services are offered:
- An Introductory Assessment is a one-hour consultation for parents, without your child present. We openly discuss your concerns and practical advice and suggestions are provided. You may be asked to complete a questionnaire to provide background information before your appointment. Adult clients would attend this type of appointment for their first consultation.
- An Essentials Screening Assessment is a 90-minute appointment attended by parent/s and child. You will complete a questionnaire to provide background information before your appointment. Structured clinical observations are made during the appointment, which your child will experience as ‘play’. Verbal feedback may be provided during the session, or via a 30-minute telephone consultation scheduled separately, as most appropriate. No report is provided.
- A Functional Assessment is a 90-minute appointment attended by parent/s and child. You will complete a questionnaire to provide background information and we will agree the priority areas for assessment before your appointment. You may also be asked to complete some standardised questionnaires during the appointment. Formal standardised testing and structured clinical observations are undertaken. A comprehensive report with recommendations is provided. Further specific, more in depth, testing may be recommended for some children (this may be by other professionals).
- A Complex Functional Assessment takes two and a half hours (this may be split over 2 sessions). This type of assessment may, for example, investigate whether your child has Dyspraxia or Dysgraphia, or it may be used to inform an EHC Plan. You will complete a questionnaire to provide background information and we will agree the priority areas for assessment before your appointment. This type of assessment is likely to include completion of standardised questionnaires by parent/s and school. Formal objective testing of your child is undertaken. A comprehensive report is provided.
- A Parent Review and Planning Consultation service is available to parents of children I have previously assessed or worked with. Consultations can be scheduled quarterly, six monthly or annually. Parent/s complete a questionnaire to summarise their child’s current functional and developmental strengths and challenges and identify priority areas before the appointment. Parent/s then attend a 1-hour consultation (without your child) where we review progress made to date. We formulate new goals for you to work towards, going forwards, based on sound developmental and learning principles. A written plan of your goals, together with ideas and suggestions, is produced and sent to you following the meeting.
This service provides the reassurance of a structured and regular review of your child’s progress and development (from a functional perspective), working with an experienced professional. It also provides some additional support for your essential role of parenting a child with special needs.
Please note: the written plan does not constitute an OT report for EHC Planning purposes as there has been no formal assessment of your child (this is clearly stated on the documentation you will receive). It is intended for parent records and use only.
Do you offer assessment for Education Tribunals or other medico-legal purposes?
No, I do not undertake medico-legal assessments or provide one-off assessments for Education Tribunals (ET), although ET reports may be available to existing clients whom I already know well through therapy.